Thursday, February 17, 2011

Playing with Paint and Pixels

Hello, there! I've wanted to make some of my own backgrounds for a while, so I dug out my watercolor paints this afternoon and started playing. I decided to work with analogous color in the warm half of the palette. I'm still a watercolor rookie -- things dried out much faster than I expected and I didn't get much mixing. Since I ADORE splatter painting, I just had to add some while I still had paint on my brush! I scanned it at 300 dpi in case my next layer looks yucky...


Before I add more paint (my workbench is covered with silkscreens that just got their last coat of varnish!), I thought it would be fun to tweak the image a bit in Photoshop. I dragged my painting into a new postcard file, selected one of the red-orange colors and used a digital brush to grunge it up a bit. I set the brush at 50% opacity and it evened out the colors and toned down the brightness quite nicely. I can't wait to print this on fabric and use it as a postcard base!

Bedtime -- I'll post again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment