Saturday, February 5, 2011

Found in an Old Drawer...


I spent some time online yesterday looking for the perfect landscape photo for my class with Gloria Loughman next month, and came across this one on Wikimedia Commons. If you haven't looked there yet, you may be surprized by all the cool stuff you can find. Almost everything that I've seen is in the public domain or is available under a Creative Commons license of some sort. The images can be shared or remixed (used in your own artwork) -- each image includes usage info so you know what you can do before you download it.

I thought it would be fun to tweak the image and make it look like we just found it in the back of an old drawer somewhere. I changed the colors to sepia tones and added two texture overlays and here is the result:

I think this one needs to become a little quilt, don't you? I can't decide if I should stay with an old-fashioned look (some piecing and maybe a bit of embroidery or applique) or as part of an artsier collage. Any thoughts???

Layer 0: Image by Daniel Skorodjelow
Hue/Saturation layer to change to sepia (lightness boosted slightly from default)
Layer 1: Croquis Dessin by Boccacino, multiply mode, 100% opacity
Layer 2: aged2 by Skeletal Mess, overlay mode, 65% opacity

No comments:

Post a Comment