Sunday, December 19, 2010

A Blast From The Past

Such an exciting photo, eh? :-) I admit that this pile of blocks doesn't look like much, but I have been working on them off and on (mostly off) for years. I started collecting fabrics for the original quilt in about 1994, but put it aside when the assembly was beyond my sewing skills. I put the top together a couple of years ago, and decided on a different border.

So what to do with the pieces I had already cut? Instead of sewing onto scrap fabrics at the beginning and ending of a line of chain piecing, I started making these "bonus" blocks. I had enough pieces cut that I could just grab a pair of lights and darks and start sewing without a lot of deep thought. I'm so used to doing that now that I get a little cranky when I'm in a rush and don't have a bonus block handy!

Now I'm looking for the perfect fabric to go in the alternate blocks. That is always a challenge when working with such scrappy blocks, so the hunt is on!

No comments:

Post a Comment