Saturday, October 16, 2010

Help Me, Mr. Wizard!

Ever since I finished the blue-violet "Color Cascade" quilt, I have had a terrible time settling on a new project. There are a few things I need to get done fairly soon, but without an urgent deadline, I just can't decide. Beads? Fabric? Paint? Paper? Nap? Shop online?

While I was trying to figure it all out, I cleaned up my fabric closet. The mess isn't driving me crazy anymore, but more ideas popped up! Then I tried chocolate (got happy taste buds, but still couldn't decide!). Took the dogs for a walk to work off some of the chocolate, but no joy. I pulled out fabric for a scrappy quilt project but I'm not in the mood to cut yet. What's a girl to do???

While I was waiting for inspiration, I downloaded some free textures from Flickr and messed around with an image from Wikimedia Commons. An old friend is fond of corvids (crows and ravens), so I played with this incredible image of a raven with Half Dome in Yosemite in the background. The original photo was almost monochromatic (white snow, black bird, just a hint of blue sky) so I used a gray texture overlay and converted the image to black and white. I'm still getting a feel for how well subtle texture on the screen translates to fabric, so I may need to tweak the final image to capture the scratches. Not bad for just playing, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment