Thursday, November 12, 2009

Inner Virgo, meet Vincent....


I started my Color Block challenge yesterday, and my idea ran headlong into my "inner Virgo"!!! Blue-violet is my color, so I thought I would do a portion of Vincent van Gogh's "Starry Night" in fabric. If Vincent had fabric instead of paint, he would surely have embraced raw-edge applique, so that's the path I headed down.

When I put the first strips on the design wall, I could tell it wasn't going to work. Vincent painted with abandon, so the perfect rectangles my inner Virgo adores were out! Vincent wants layer upon layer of rounded edges and blobs, so I'm putting the rulers away and cutting freehand. There is something quite liberating about telling my ever-so-slightly OCD self to be quiet and just have fun!

The photo shows one corner of the first layer. I'll stitch around the pieces and then add another layer.

No comments:

Post a Comment